Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Army Figurine Costume

I gave my kids several option for Halloween.  I let them choose between about 5 things that I thought I could make and would be fun.  Tucker's first choice was minions but that didn't work out because the girls really wanted to be trolls but his second choice was to be an army guy for Halloween.  Not a normal person in the army but he wanted to be the toy figurine.  I had fun making the costume and I think it turned out cute.

To make it I went to good will and bought the clothes then I went to the dollar store and bought the army hat, grenade, binoculars, and knife.  Then I headed over to walmart and got spray paint.  I ended up needing a primer and 3 cans of green.  The pants and the jacket just soaked up the green sooo much it was hard to get them to change color.  I ended up switching the jacket to an old rain coat we have and the pants worked ok after the primer.  The probably could still have used more coats I might even try it with slick pants if I were to do it again.  I also cut up and old pair of nylons to go over his face and hands.  So I basically just spray painted everything and cut out a cardboard piece to stand on and that was it.  One army guy costume was made.
Tucker had a lot of fun with his grenade.  It made noise so he would push the button and then run away so people would get blown up.  I think I must have been blown up 20 times.  It is funny because he didn't know what it was before that night.
Another simple do it yourself halloween costume for kids.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a brilliant idea for kids costume. Love how creative you got here. The end result is fantastic!!
http://willfullyelegant.wordpress.com

bashashhazbaz said...

that is freaking awesome!

Laura Woestman said...

WONDERFUL - what fun ideas. You are so creative!!

Leah said...

You are such a creative Momma! This costume is so neat!

the cape on the corner said...

that is awesome! great job!!

Miranda @ Someday Crafts said...

What a fun costume idea! My little boy would love this. Thanks for sharing at Whatever Goes Wednesday. We'll be featuring this over at Someday Crafts tomorrow :)

Steph @ Three Loud Kids! said...

This is seriously the cutest costume ever!

Kristin said...

Adorable! I have some dye I'm going to try out for the first time for a Lalaloopsy wig - I wonder if a lighter pair of pants and green dye would have been easier for you. I LOVE the slick plastic look the spray paint gives everything else, though! You did a great job! I especially love the cardboard stand - just makes the look!